Thursday, June 23, 2011

Adventures of a Library Page #001

So there I am, minding my own business, filing books back on the shelves in proper dewey order when a patron comes up to me and asks if I can show him some books on giving speeches. "Well sure!" I say. We walk over to a computer terminal and I start a quick search for books on the subject. Then to my surprise he pulls out some random CD (which is now at home in a trash can) and insists I check it out along with his flyer. He starts going on and on about a great business opportunity where you "can be a customer but sell things too"! It reminded me very much of pyramid scheme propaganda and trickery. The icing on the cake? I was encouraged to attend a super secret, exclusive meeting that I would have to pay for!

I'm guessing the patron was researching public speaking for the so-called "business meeting" he was so fanatic about. Finally I cut him off and gave him my best "no nonsense" look and asked if he still wanted to know where the books on public speaking could be found. He did and I quickly showed him to the area and recommended a few titles.

Poor, mislead guy - I have a feeling that he is going to be a very poor man soon. Perhaps instead of researching public speaking, he should be reading up on how to recognize pyramid and get rich quick schemes and why they rarely, if ever, work. (Speaking of which, as a result of this incident I discovered that there is actually an entire website devoted to calling out such scams: Pyramid Scheme Alert.)

No comments: